Thursday, October 12, 2017

Take a Sneak Peek at our Pleasant Hills Vendors!

Meet Lynn Radford from The Studio at Piney Creek Acres...
My name is Lynn Radford, I am the resident artist and writer at The Studio at Piney Creek Acres. You can find me happily writing and creating in my home studio where I live, work and play with my husband, five cats and a crazy dog. I am a mixed media artist whose love of collage and assemblage has taught me that the possibilities are as limitless as imagination itself.

Ever since I can remember, I have been creative. I am an active mail artist, a writer of short fiction (micro, flash and poetry) and a maker who shares how-tos in crafting magazines. My return to artisan shows came in 2016. My break-out event ended in a flash flood that soured me on outdoor events. Since then, I have agreed to do two indoor shows a year, spring and fall.
           
This will be the first Avant Garde Show for me, but I hope to make these part of my yearly calendar of events.

As an environmentally conscious collage artist, I am always on the lookout for colorful bits to use in my artwork. The bright pink thingamabob I picked up in the street might well become central in my work. I am especially drawn to vintage, rusty, old, unloved bits of this and that, and work to incorporate them into my art whenever possible. My current favorite collage fodder are cigar bands. I make gorgeous coasters from them.

Years ago, when my children were small, a friend got me involved in the PTA Santa Shops. That was when I first began making to sell. Previously, my work was gifted to family and friends.  Somehow, I’ve always known I was creative, even when I tried to shut it out. Like many, I received lots of praise for it when I was small, but as reality and careers loomed, praise and encouragement dwindled. The expectation to earn a traditional income and raise a family became first and foremost for a long time. Eventually, I learned to embrace it fully. When I did, my quality of life increased exponentially. Thankfully, my talent chose me and persisted, even when I did not.
           
My process is extremely intuitive. If I “feel” it, it happens. I never try to force something into being. My best work comes when I let go and allow the bits I work with to speak to me. When I’m “stuck” I’ll sit in the studio, looking through my bits, touching, organizing, cleaning… until something grabs me.

In five years, I hope to grow my art business into a sustainable avenue of income. Becoming solvent doing what I love has long been a dream.
           
We live in an extremely disposable society. If something breaks, we don’t fix it, we toss it. In my world, those objects find purpose. Trash becomes treasure. Old becomes new. Just because an item is no longer relevant, doesn't mean it's destined for the landfill. I give new life to pieces that inspire me. My hope is that others find value and beauty in the discarded objects around them and possibly take up the mantle. Trash as art is alive and well... in my world, anyway.

Meet Jennifer Leffler from Light Shine Jewelry Co...
I'm Jen, the color-loving, painter chick behind Light Shine Jewelry co.  I live and create in Monroeville, PA.  I have an amazing dog, Bailey, who loves hanging out in the studio with me.  When I'm not at my day job, I'm making pretty things and exploring our awesome city!

I've been painting professionally for about nine years now, but Light Shine Jewelry was born just this year! This will be my first show!
I'm extremely inspired by nature and architecture.  I get lost in the colors of the ocean, the vibrancy in flowers and how nuanced the sky can be.  I also love admiring interesting buildings and the beautiful details especially of older buildings.

I wanted to create wearable art that anyone could afford.  I loved painting large-scale commission works, but I had the desire to reach a broader audience.  I love creating these mini works of art and sharing them with so many!
I'm a painter and designer by trade but got restless painting on canvas and hanging art on walls.  I started experimenting with painting on clay, adding a little gold or silver leaf in the mix, and finishing off the pieces with resin. I posted a few photos of my work on social media, and wouldn't you know, they were a hit!  Light Shine Jewelry co. was born!  

I take my color inspirations and pretty much go crazy painting on a large piece of clay.  From there I 'see' or 'find' the pieces of jewelry within that piece of clay and cut and sculpt them from there.  It's a very loose and free (and fun!) way to create. 
In five years, I would love to be a full-time maker!  This part of my business has only been around for a short time and I've already seen so many blessings and such a great reception.  I hope to be stocking area shops and boutiques as well as continuing to do shows and markets.  I LOVE getting out to meet and talk to people!  I'd also like to continue to grow my Etsy store and include my new home decor line!
The message behind my work is the most important thing for me!  Light Shine is all about knowing your beauty, knowing your value and letting that shine!  I was inspired by Matthew 5:14-16, which talks about being the light of the world and allowing our light to shine so that it points to others to our heavenly Father.  My hope is that when a customer wears their one of a kind jewelry, they're reminded of how unique and awesome they are and to let their light shine!  

Meet Alisha Chaffey from ASA Enterprises...
ASA Enterprises is a division of the ASA Social Fund for Hidden Peoples. By utilizing fair trade practices and providing micro-loans, we employ underserved artisans in Africa to create unique crafts. After selling all our craft items, ASA invests all profits into our partner organizations in Africa, including two children’s homes (Bright Kids Uganda & The Great King’s and Queen’s Children’s Centre), a disabled children’s school and support program, the United Against Gender Violence – Blessed Survivors group – supporting women and children, who have been emotionally and/or physically scarred by acid attacks and other forms of gender violence and “Adopt a Village” Project for Barlonyo, Uganda.
In 2008, Bright Kids Uganda USA (non-profit) was established to provide for the educational, medical and sustainable project needs of the Bright Kids Uganda children’s home in Africa. In 2015, the ASA Social Fund for Hidden Peoples, a non-profit organization was founded to reach out to several additional organizations closely associated with Bright Kids Uganda. This will be my first Avant-Garde show.
I believe in respecting the ability and uniqueness of every individual, regardless of their current circumstances. That all people should be able to participate in shaping a better future for themselves and their children.
We work directly with the crafts persons in Uganda to assist in purchase of materials and provide orders for crafts. All colors, designs and future products are at the discretion of the artisan.
Our goal for ASA Social Fund in 5 years is to have expanded to assist hidden peoples in other countries, including programs in Hungary and other parts of Europe. Our message is simple...Every person has value. By promoting and facilitating education, employment, creativity and self-reliance a brighter future is available to everyone.
2017 Pleasant Hills Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:00am-5:00pm
Georgetown Center
526 East Bruceton Rd
Pleasant Hills, PA 15236
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Back!

    Meet Mick and Kristina Spiro from RockedOutVibrations... We are Mick and Kristina, RockedOutVibrations. We are obsessed with all things ...