Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Popping up in Pittsburgh!

Meet Kitty Savel from Kitty's Kreations...
I currently work full time as an Epic software trainer for Allegheny Health Network here in Pittsburgh.  When I am not working I am designing bracelets, pendants and necklaces using wire, beads and crochet.
I have been crocheting with wire and beads for about four years.  I took a class at the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet festival and have been teaching a class in Crocheting with Wire and Beads for the last three years at the festival.  I have taught at local yarn shops in the Allegheny and Westmoreland counties of Pennsylvania.  I have also taught at the Society for Contemporary Craft located in the Strip District here in Pittsburgh.

This will be my second Avant-Garde Arts and Craft show! I am so excited to be accepted to be a vendor in that show.

I love working with wire and beads.  There are so many textures and colors to choose from.  I take my inspiration for my designs from fabric swatches, magazine ads and nature.

At the age of 10 I learned to knit from an older sister.  A year later I taught myself how to crochet.  I am also self taught in the mediums of collage and assemblage.  I have exhibited my assemblage pieces here in Pittsburgh.

As I said before I took a crochet with wire and beads class at a knit and crochet festival here in Pittsburgh.  I was instantly enthralled with the technique and combination of the two mediums.  I have since leaned wire weaving and created my own designs for necklaces, pendants and bracelets.
I often choose a focal bead for its color and shape and then design a necklace or pendant around it.  I have a book of 100's of fabric swatches that I use for color inspiration.  I experiment with wire gauges, weaving and wire coiling.  I often lose track of time when I am working.

In five years I see myself exhibiting and selling my work at various venues.  I was recently asked to sell my work at art centers in both Rehoboth Beach, Deleware and Ocean City Maryland.  I will be showing and selling my work at other shows this Fall including Roland's restaurant in the Strip District in Pittsburgh on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving).  I also see myself teaching.  I love the look on students' faces when they see what they have created in my classes.
For the most part I m self taught.  I have been blessed with opportunities to show and sell my work.  My message is that there is an artisan in every one of us.  All people really need is encouragement to nurture their inner artist

Meet Kelly Foster from Kelly's Krafts...
My name is Kelly and I am a nearly 30 year old (omg I can't believe I just said that, I'm getting so old!). I have had way too many surgeries and that's kind of how I got into making crafts I guess. Last year around this time I was preparing for surgery # who cares and decided if I was going to be off work, I was going to need something to do. My very first wreath was my Kooky Thanksgiving Tommy the Turkey. After that I decided that I needed to make a wreath for every season and/or holiday. A year later, I have all the holiday wreaths I need but I still love making them. I have been doing this for about a year now. This is going to be my second Avant-Garde show.
I typically just see something I like and decide to try it with my own twist. Maybe it's better maybe it's worse but it's mine. I also don't make exact duplicates of anything. If, for example, I am making candy cane wreaths, they will all be different somehow. Never the same. I feel like that makes it a little more personal so it's not like they are just being pumped out of a factory or ordered in a kit or something.
I saw some cool wreaths on Pinterest and needed something to so while laid up from surgery, and then when people kept telling me that my wreaths were nice I decided to start selling them.

Usually my creative process is pretty simple. I see a picture and think of what I can do to make it better or my own. Then I go from there and then second guess myself and ask opinions of people to see if it looks good or not. Sometimes I just can't see that it looks amazing.
I wouldn't call this a business. It's my hobby so, in five years, I see myself still making crafts. I feel like if I made it into too much of a "business" the fun would get sucked out of doing it.

Meet Heather Mazzarella from Lemon Tree Soapery...
My name is Heather Mazzarella and, together with my mother Linda Mazzarella, I run Lemon Tree Soapery. We have been doing this together for 5 years and counting! We create high quality soap, candles, and other bath and body products that are healthy and skin loving! I am lead soaper, candle maker, and bath bomber but our business is truly a family affair. My mother, a self taught soaper, started our business and taught me everything I know. She still helps with production and managing all aspects of our business. My father lends a helping hand by gathering and cutting down recycled alcohol bottles to be repurposed into our eco-candle collection. My fiancé and fellow artist drew and designed all of the artwork on our packaging. Together, we bring you all kinds of treat yourself goodies!
This is our first Avant- Garde Show. We are very excited to be a part of it! Just about everything and everyone around me inspires me to create. I am lucky enough to belong to a large circle of artistic family and friends where finding an outlet for creativity is highly encouraged. I have always had an interest in skin care and love making products that have a positive benefit on the skin. I struggled with problem skin as teenager and unfortunately it took a long time to realize that natural products were far more effective in treating my skin than the harsh chemicals in most name brand products. Seeing the transformation in my own skin through the use of my own healthier, more natural products was really encouraging and helps motivate me to create for other people. 
The initial spark was when my mother started working at a gift shop that supported local artisans. Being the only non-artisan that worked there at the time, she was inspired to pick up the soap making trade. I have always had an interest in skin care, as I had struggled with problem skin as teenager, so we took on the hobby together. Over the years, its grown from a hobby to a business and we’re so grateful that we have the opportunity to work together doing what we love. 
As a teenager with difficult skin, it unfortunately took a long time to realize that natural products were far more effective in treating my skin than harsh chemicals. I love that I can create a soap bar or a bath bomb that not only cleanses, but has specific benefits for skin. I love researching new additives, recipes and techniques. I’m constantly learning and developing my craft to make a better product. 

I make sure to start each day with a positive attitude, a cup of coffee and some music. The entire creation process is really therapeutic for me. To see all of the raw materials come together to form something beautiful and beneficial is really gratifying.
I hope to still be creating soap, candles, and bath and body products for myself and others to enjoy!

For me, my products are for more than just than skin health. I find it important to take a minute every day spend some quality time with yourself. Bath and body products can improve metal health as well through Aromatherapy and Self Care. I make time to enjoy my products every day for all they’re worth. 

2017 Pittsburgh Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, December 9, 2017 - 10:00am-5:00pm
Teamsters Local 249 Banquet Hall
4701 Butler St
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Back!

    Meet Mick and Kristina Spiro from RockedOutVibrations... We are Mick and Kristina, RockedOutVibrations. We are obsessed with all things ...